You must correct the following errors to continue:
Develop Competencies to Teach English as a Second Language
Through successful completion of this course, you will gain an awareness of the structure and nature of language and the process of linguistic analysis, considering both English and other world languages. You will also become acquainted with diverse cultural and linguistic concepts affecting pedagogical methods and language learning in the areas of phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics.
- Describe how an understanding of linguistics can benefit teacher candidates working with diverse student populations
- Classify the linguistic features that characterize the English language and compare these features to those of other languages through contrastive analysis
- Analyze verbal and nonverbal behavior that characterizes various cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Evaluate English learners' assessments to determine areas that can support English language development
- Develop curriculum (attach lessons addressing six of the areas of linguistics studied in this course) to support an English learner's language development based on student assessment and findings from a carefully constructed contrastive analysis
Number of Units: 2.0 units of graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for teachers and prospective teachers in ESL/EFL, bilingual, or structured immersion classes. It will be valuable for anyone working with non-native-English language learners in public or private K-12, adult education, community college, university settings, or international settings who wish to develop their competencies in the field of TESOL.
Course Materials: Linguistics for Teaching English in Multilingual Classrooms by Sarina Chugani Molina, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com
"I enjoyed the class." -- Juan Carlos Limon, Educator, Corona-Norco Unified School District, California
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (10 Units)