You must correct the following errors to continue:
Credit Validation for DoDEA Participants Only
This graduate level course was designed for general education teachers, ESOL teachers, administrators, and ISSs to build capacity to support English Language Learners in the content area of mathematics. The course will be broken down into four modules.
- Math Discourse and English Language Learners
- Using the WIDA Can-Do Descriptors for Math Instruction
- Doing and Talking Mathematics: Meaning Making with ELLs
- Application of Learning into Instructional Practice
Supporting ELLs in Mathematics Each module will begin with a local face-to-face session facilitated by ESOL Teacher Leaders at each complex. For school complexes without a local facilitator, the regional ESOL ISS will facilitate the live sessions via MS Teams. Access to all materials will be provided via the live sessions.
- Examine the benefits of giving students mathematics tasks to solve together and time to exchange ideas about their reasoning
- Plan to support multilingual learners in becoming increasingly effective as they use language to express their own ideas and co-construct ideas with others
- Identify common cultural and linguistic struggles for ELLs learning mathematics
- Recognize the purpose, components, and organization of the WIDA Can-Do Descriptors
- Use the WIDA Can-Do Descriptors to plan instruction for ELLs
- Examine two specific teacher tools: Productive Conversation Prompts that help facilitate collaborative meaning-making and Language Development Moves to encourage students’ language development
- Analyze Classroom Supports developed specifically to support student engagement in mathematical practices
- Apply the learning from Modules 1-3 into classroom practice and share these practices with their colleagues
Number of Units: 1.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for DoDEA teachers, administrators, and ISSs in Europe.