You must correct the following errors to continue:
Teaching of English as a Second Language
Students will synthesize theoretical knowledge in the field of linguistics and second language acquisition with the “practice” of creating materials and utilizing instructional methodologies in the ESL classroom.
Demonstrate an understanding of:
- Historical development that has led to various approaches in English Language Teaching
- Research and approaches to teaching the four language skills: reading, listening, speaking, and writing
- Methods of teaching grammar, vocabulary, discourse and pronunciation in the ESL classroom
- Student learning styles and classroom interaction in creating an optimal language-learning environment for the ESL students
- Designing a curriculum, a syllabus and materials related to a teaching approach the students synthesized as a result of this course
Number of Units: 2.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for recent college graduates, career changers, and educators who wish to develop their competencies in field of TESOL
Course Materials: Text, Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching (Teaching Techniques in English as a Second Language) by Diane Larsen-Freeman, available at your local bookstore or online at Amazon.com.
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Certificate : Courses - Enroll in Individual Courses, or Earn a Certificate with Required Courses (10 Units)