You must correct the following errors to continue:
Discover a New Approach to Discipline and Classroom Management
In this introductory course on Restorative Practices, you will learn how to create safe schools, gain control of the classroom, and address student mental health needs while maximizing academic outcomes. Schools across the nation are implementing alternatives to outdated punishment-based discipline in order to cultivate better classroom management, create positive peer mediation practices, and build community. This course places an emphasis on implementing "real life" solutions that are beneficial to students, teachers and staff.
This course is not associated with the Restorative Justice Facilitation and Leadership Certificate program, and is not applicable toward its requirements.
- Evaluate alternatives to punishment-based discipline at the individual, class and school level
- Identify best practices, core concepts, and tools for implementing and evaluating restorative practices in one’s educational setting
- Assess the benefits, potential limitations and challenges associated with implementing restorative practices
- Create a comprehensive resource to support classroom implementation of restorative practices
Number of Units: 3.0 graduate level extension credit(s) in semester hours
Who Should Attend: This course provides continuing education for Teachers (Grade K-12), Administrators, School Counselors, and others wishing to implement classroom-based or school-wide Restorative practices, as an alternative to traditional classroom management and discipline strategies.
Course Materials: None
"This was an excellent class and I have gained substantial knowledge and perspective regarding Restorative Practices, and will implement aspects in my teaching. Thank you! " -- London Woodfin, Educator, Los Angeles Unified School District, California
"I enjoyed this course. It provided new ideas as well as validation for my current methods." -- Christi Gohl, Educator, Twin Rivers, California
Applies Towards the Following Certificate(s), Professional Programs and Series
- *Teaching for Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity in the Classroom Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More
- Beginning Teachers Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More
- Effective Classroom Management Solutions Certificate : Elective Courses - Complete 1 of the following 3 courses:
- Professional Teachers Program Series : Courses - Enroll in One or More